• The troubled Sentinel intercontinental ballistic missile program will hit a key milestone by year’s end, with hopes to deliver the initial ICBM by the early 2030s, Pentagon and Air Force officials announced Tuesday.

    In 2024, the Northrop Grumman program to modernize the land-based arm of the nuclear triad went so far over budget that the Pentagon rescinded a 2020 decision to move the program into its engineering and manufacturing development phase. Program officials said in September 2025 that they hoped to re-enter that phase by mid-2027, but now say they plan to hit that milestone this year. 

    “Leveraging considerable progress over the last 12-18 months, program officials are executing a transformed acquisition strategy paving the way to complete the restructure and achieve a Milestone B decision by the end of 2026, while delivering an initial capability targeted for the early 2030s,” the service said in a Tuesday news release. 

    Air Force officials said successful ground tests, solid rocket motor qualifications, and critical design reviews are examples of much-needed progress since the program triggered a Nunn-McCurdy Act review in 2024. Additionally, service officials highlighted the new direct reporting portfolio manager role for critical major weapon systems—which includes F-47, B-21, and Sentinel—as crucial to accelerating the program. Gen. Dale White was confirmed for that position in December.

    “The DRPM has the direct authority to make decisions, informed by integrated inputs across the enterprise and in alignment with the mission priorities set by the Secretary of War and the Secretary for the Air Force,” White said in the news release. “That construct allows us to resolve tradeoffs quickly and move with the speed required to deliver credible deterrence—while preserving the discipline this mission demands.”

    White’s position, and the creation of his new direct reporting portfolio manager role that reports directly to Deputy Defense Secretary Steve Feinberg, appeared to be at odds with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s acquisitions reforms—including changes to expand decision-making authority at lower levels. 

    The new role “signifies a major lack of confidence in the Air Force to pull off its main acquisition programs” and allows White and the Pentagon to call the shots on Sentinel, said Todd Harrison, a defense budget expert at the American Enterprise Institute.

    “I think it also signifies that there are certain programs that are too big or too important to fail,” he said. “A lot of these processes it doesn't seem like are going to apply to these too-big-to-fail programs. Sentinel is definitely one of those, because we don't have an alternative. We don’t have a fallback.”

    Other Sentinel program developments:

    • Construction has already started on the first of three new command and control centers at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming, and on test facilities at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.
    • Teams plan to break ground on a prototype launch silo at Northrop Grumman’s Promontory, Utah, site, this month, which “will allow engineers to test and refine modern construction techniques, validating the new silo design before work begins in the missile fields,” the news release said. 
    • Prototyping activities this summer at F.E. Warren will validate construction methods being used for utility corridors.

    Officials are planning for the first missile pad launch for Sentinel in 2027, the news release said. 

    “The deliberate progress being made on Sentinel ensures that for decades to come, there will be no doubt in the minds of our adversaries about the credibility and readiness of our nation's nuclear deterrent,” Navy Adm. Richard Correll, head of U.S. Strategic Command, said in the news release. “That is the ultimate deliverable."

    ]]>

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • The Government Accountability Office has dismissed allegations that ManTech International had several conflicts of interest and should not have won a $96.5 million Army contract.

    MAG Aerospace was the incumbent contractor on the Network Modernization & Mission Network Technical Service Support program, known as NetMod. The contract provides technical support to the Army’s tactical network.

    After ManTech won the recompete in February 2025, MAG filed its protest complaining that ManTech had all three types of organizational conflicts of interest: biased ground rules, unequal access to information and impaired objectivity.

    MAG's protest led the Army to take a corrective action in March and investigate the OCI allegations.

    The Army’s investigation found no actual or potential conflicts, clearing the way for a re-award of the contract to ManTech in August. MAG again filed a second protest in November.

    But while that protest was pending, the Army said it would waive the OCI rules and procedures as in the service branch's best interest. With that waiver, GAO dismissed the OCI allegations as moot.

    GAO then denied MAG's challenge to the Army's finding of ManTech as a responsible contractor and the best value for the program, according to the protest decision unsealed Thursday.

    For the responsibility challenge, MAG cited an administrative agreement from July 31 between ManTech and the Homeland Security Department about mischarged time and overbillings. The Army’s contracting officer did not consider the agreement in his determination because the person could not find it in searches.

    GAO said the contracting officer was not aware of it, therefore he did not ignore it. The legal standard for overturning a responsibility determination is whether contracting officers ignore those determinations.

    MAG cannot go to the U.S. Court of Federal Claims with its protest because this is a task order under the RS3 vehicle. GAO holds sole authority for task order protests.

    ManTech can now begin working on the contract, which runs for five years at an evaluated price of $96.5 million.

    ]]>

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • Cybersecurity researchers have disclosed that artificial intelligence (AI) assistants that support web browsing or URL fetching capabilities can be turned into stealthy command-and-control (C2) relays, a technique that could allow attackers to blend into legitimate enterprise communications and evade detection. The attack method, which has been demonstrated against Microsoft Copilot and xAI Grok

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • SINGAPORE, Singapore, February 17th, 2026, CyberNewswire The OWASP Smart Contract Security Project has released the OWASP Smart Contract Top 10 2026, a risk prioritization framework developed from structured analysis of real world exploit data observed across blockchain ecosystems in 2025. Crypto protocols continued to experience significant smart contract failures in 2025, with exploit patterns increasingly […]

    The post CredShields Contributes to OWASP’s 2026 Smart Contract Security Priorities appeared first on GBHackers Security | #1 Globally Trusted Cyber Security News Platform.

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • A new Android backdoor that’s embedded deep into the device firmware can silently harvest data and remotely control its behavior, according to new findings from Kaspersky. The Russian cybersecurity vendor said it discovered the backdoor, dubbed Keenadu, in the firmware of devices associated with various brands, including Alldocube, with the compromise occurring during the firmware build phase.

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • As a second American aircraft carrier races to the Middle East, Iran says it has briefly closed portions of the Strait of Hormuz for live-fire military exercises as it continues negotiations over its nuclear program with U.S. officials Tuesday in Geneva. After weeks of threats aimed at Iran’s leaders by American President Donald Trump, the Associated Press calls the strait closure “a further escalation in a weekslong standoff that could ignite another war in the Middle East.” 

    Rewind: The U.S. joined Israeli attacks against Iran during a single-morning assault last June. The operation, called “Midnight Hammer,” used F-22 and F-35 aircraft as well as submarine-launched cruise missiles and long-range B-2 bombers that dropped munitions in a mission designed to cripple Tehran’s nuclear program. Iran responded by firing missiles at the U.S. military’s at Al-Udeid Air Base in Qatar, with minimal damage. After the exchange of fire, experts assessed Iran’s nuclear infrastructure had been damaged by the U.S.-Israeli attacks, but warned it could still be reconstituted. 

    Latest: The U.S. military has been preparing for what could be “weeks” of new operations against Iran, two U.S. officials told Reuters Friday. “In a sustained campaign, the U.S. military could hit Iranian state and security facilities, not just nuclear infrastructure,” the officials said. Trump is also reportedly “considering options that would include sending American commandos to go after certain Iranian military targets,” the New York Times reported last week.  

    Under such a scenario, “the United States fully expected Iran to retaliate, leading to back-and-forth strikes and reprisals over time,” Reuters reports. This could help explain why recent satellite imagery over al-Udeid showed U.S. troops have put Patriot anti-missile units on trucks to increase uncertainty for possible Iranian targeting in a future conflict. Other U.S. bases in the region are also vulnerable, including locations across Iraq, Bahrain, Kuwait and Jordan. 

    A dozen U.S. warships are already in the region. That includes the aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln. Another carrier, USS Gerald R. Ford, has been rerouted from the Caribbean Sea to the Middle East as well, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday. The chief of naval operations said in January, Defense One reported, that he would push back against extending Ford, which left Norfolk in June, saying the move would be “quite disruptive” to planned maintenance for the ship and to the lives of its sailors.  

    To get a sense of the air and naval power the U.S. is bringing to the region, open-source monitor Ian Ellis drew up this busy map and chart. 

    Iranian reax: “An aircraft carrier is certainly a dangerous piece of equipment,” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said in a speech Tuesday before talks began in Geneva. “But more dangerous than the carrier is the weapon that can send it to the bottom of the sea,” he added. 

    Iran’s navy chief said Tuesday the Hormuz Strait will remain under “24-hour surveillance” as Iran continues naval drills in the waterway the Reuters calls “the world's most vital oil export route.”  

    Big picture: “The Iranian government is under considerable pressure to agree to a deal,” the Times reports. “Iran’s economy has struggled under crippling international sanctions, which helped ignite the latest wave of protests against the country’s authoritarian government.” However, “Iranian officials have argued they will not make concessions on nuclear enrichment without sanctions relief. Iran’s deputy foreign minister told state media that in return Tehran could offer Washington lucrative investment opportunities in sectors like oil, gas, and mining.” 

    Elsewhere in the region, the U.S. military says it recently carried out 10 strikes in 10 days in its ongoing war against ISIS in Syria. Read a bit more about that from Central Command, here.


    Welcome to this Tuesday edition of The D Brief, a newsletter focused on developments affecting the future of U.S. national security, brought to you by Ben Watson and Meghann Myers. It’s more important than ever to stay informed, so we’d like to take a moment to thank you for reading. Share your tips and feedback here. And if you’re not already subscribed, you can do that here. On this day in 1865, retreating rebels burned two-thirds of Columbia, South Carolina, to the ground as Gen. William Sherman’s U.S. Army swept through the region in the final months of the American Civil War. The city would later host the nearby U.S. Army base Fort Jackson, which was established in 1917.

    Around the Defense Department

    The Pentagon is facing blowback after reportedly using AI firm Anthropic’s Claude software during the abduction of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro last month, Axios reported over the weekend. “The military has used Claude in the past to analyze satellite imagery or intelligence,” however two sources told the outlet “Claude was used during the active operation, not just in preparations for it.” Claude is also reportedly the only AI model used in the military’s classified systems. 

    Anthropic’s chief concern in this context: “that its technology is not used for the mass surveillance of Americans or to operate fully autonomous weapons,” Dave Lawler and Maria Curi of Axios write. Military officials have countered that those concerns are “unduly restrictive.”

    Update: Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth is now reportedly on the verge of cutting ties with Anthropic, which are estimated to cost about $200 million. (Anthropic says it generates about $14 billion in annual revenue.) Hegseth is also considering designating the firm a “supply chain risk,” Axios reported Monday, and noted, “That kind of penalty is usually reserved for foreign adversaries.” Read the rest, here

    The U.S. military killed three more alleged drug-traffickers in another boat strike in the Caribbean Sea on Friday. That raises the Pentagon’s death toll to 133 people U.S. troops have killed without a trial across nearly 40 strikes since September. 

    Trump told soldiers they “have to” vote for the GOP during a speech Friday at an army base in North Carolina. “You have to vote for us,” the president told a crowd of soldiers at Fort Bragg, a base where regulations prohibit partisan displays. 

    “Most service members refrained from cheering,” the Washington Post reported after the president’s remarks. “They mostly left the applause and cheers to his staff and the assembled Republican politicians” from the state that had gathered at the army base for Trump’s speech. 

    Hegseth pushed out a senior Army spokesman who once worked for former Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley, a target of President Trump’s ire after having installed him during the president’s first term, Fox News reported. Col. Dave Butler had been nominated for a promotion to brigadier general, but sources told Fox that the defense secretary ordered the Army secretary to fire him last week.

    Earlier this month, Hegseth told a crowd at the Pentagon, “I think the single dumbest phrase in military history is ‘our diversity is our strength.’” It’s been a common refrain for Hegseth over the past several years, and an extension of the Trump administration’s culture-war assault on diversity following nationwide protests against police brutality in the final year of Trump’s first term. Trump began his second term by firing the Black general who was Joint Chiefs chairman because he allegedly promoted diversity, while Hegseth cut celebrations of Black History Month and restored the titles of Army bases named after Confederate soldiers. 

    A historian noticed Hegseth’s recent remarks at the Pentagon, and penned a retrospective flagging “an extensive literature that tracks the ways in which concepts of diversity have stood at the heart of the United States of America from the founding.” According to Kevin Kruse of Princeton University, “We only need to take a look at the propaganda posters that the USA employed during World War I and World War II to see that diversity was very much seen as a strength by American leaders in those conflicts,” he wrote Sunday.  

    Relatedly, “Immigrant soldiers, for instance, made up about a full sixth of the U.S. Army forces during the conflict,” Kruse adds. And “the War Department (as it was actually known back then) knew incorporating these foreign-born soldiers was so important to their work that it launched the Foreign-Speaking Soldier Sub-Section,” known as FSS.  

    Citing several posters from the era, “Even more than the WWI effort, American propaganda during WWII leaned into the idea that diversity—not just in terms of white ethnics, but all races and both genders too—was an asset to be exploited, not a deficit to be overcome,” Kruse writes. Continue reading, here

    Additional reading: 

    Deportation nation

    The Homeland Security Department has subpoenaed Google, Meta, Discord and Reddit for the identities of users whose accounts track or comment on ICE activity, the New York Times reported. Google, Meta and Reddit complied with some of the requests, sources said. Some users were notified of the subpoenas and given 10 to 14 days to fight them in court.

    DHS appears to be breaking many of its own use-of-force policies against ICE protestors, according to a review of dozens of incidents by NBC News. “Less lethal” weapons like rubber bullets, tear gas, pepper spray and flash-bangs have been deployed “inappropriately and indiscriminately” according to court cases in at least four states. “I’ve never seen federal agents so out of control and acting in such a malicious manner,” Rubén Castillo, a former federal prosecutor and federal judge who now leads the Illinois Accountability Commission, a state effort to review allegations of abuse against immigration officers, told NBC. “They said they were going after ‘the worst of the worst,’ then they became the problem.”

    El Paso counter-drone weapon update: When the federal government shut down El Paso’s airspace last week, they were responding to the firing of a counter-drone laser “without sufficient coordination,” sources told Axios. Customs and Border Protection had fired AeroVironment’s LOCUST system at what Trump administration officials called “a cartel drone swarm.” It was on loan from the U.S. military. More, here

    Additional reading: 

    ]]>

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • New York, USA, 17th February 2026, CyberNewswire

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • SINGAPORE, Singapore, 17th February 2026, CyberNewswire

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • Washington DC, USA, February 17th, 2026, CyberNewswire The Cybersecurity Excellence Awards today published early nomination insights from the 2026 program, highlighting a shift in vendor emphasis from broad AI positioning toward governance frameworks, identity architecture, and measurable accountability. Produced by Cybersecurity Insiders, the analysis draws on more than 200 submissions received ahead of RSA Conference […]

    The post Cybersecurity Excellence Awards Reveal Nomination Shift from AI Hype to Governance Execution appeared first on GBHackers Security | #1 Globally Trusted Cyber Security News Platform.

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

  • Washington DC, USA, 17th February 2026, CyberNewswire

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶

    ¶¶¶¶¶